Yesterday, I wrote about our most recent vacation and how we tend to spend more money to stay in a hotel where our family of 5 will have plenty of room to spread out. The focus of today’s post is more about hotels themselves, and below is a list of general concerns/questions I have about hotels, and some suggestions for hotel patrons:
- Why are the garbage cans in hotel rooms so small? You can generally fit about 2 empty bottles in these garbage cans and that is about it. God forbid you order a pizza, because there is nowhere for that pizza box to go. I can barely cram my empty box of Ho-Hos in the standard hotel room garbage can.
- Why are the heating/cooling systems in the hotel rooms so loud? I don’t understand why it has to sound like a small explosion every time the heater or air turns on. I have chosen to sleep sweating to death just so I am not woken up by the air conditioning.
- Do ice machines really have to be right next to my room every time? I understand that ice machines need to be somewhere, but please put them in an enclosed area with a door. (By the way, don’t ever get ice from an ice machine that has a flip top door and a scoop. I have heard horrible stories about what people have done to easily accessible ice…)
- Why do some hotels invest in the softest mattresses and lumpiest pillows (or worse yet, pillows that are 12 inches thick)? I hate having a sore back in the morning, and I now have to travel with my little flat pillow because hotel pillows are so uncomfortable for me. Pillow variety would be very nice!
- Is there a reason why hotel guests cannot gently close the door? I can’t count how many times I have been woken up by slamming hotel doors.
- Parents, please control your children and teach them to be considerate. I really don’t think it’s necessary for them to scream down the hall to you instead of just taking 20 steps to ask you a question. Also, I know that vacations are for parents too, and drinking and relaxing can be a part of that. However, remember you do have children and that they are YOUR responsibility, not everyone else’s.
- My biggest question of all: Do hotels wash the blankets/comforters between guests? Hotel comforters scare me to death. The first thing I do when I get into a hotel room is rip the comforter off the bed and throw it into a corner. But I wonder, are the blankets any cleaner? You may think I am a germaphobe, but I have read enough stories and seen enough segments on tv to know that I don’t want to be anywhere near those bed covers. By the way, if anyone reading this works in the hotel industry, please leave a comment and let me know the washing frequency of bed linens.
So, what am I missing? What else could be improved at hotels? What are your thoughts?