Do you ever look at the headlines and think “who are they even talking about”?
That is basically how I feel, especially when it comes to Entertainment ‘News’.
I guess it isn’t just that I don’t know who these people are, but that there are plenty stories in the media that I just have zero interest in. The following is a list of people/events/shows/etc that seem to captivate many others, but not me:
- The Royal Wedding. I don’t think I watched Diana marry Prince Charles, and I really can’t wait for Prince William to hurry up and get his wedding over with. I know many people are fascinated with royalty, but I am not one of them.
- Any reality show ‘celebrity’. I admit, I enjoyed the first few seasons of the Apprentice, but the contestants on the Apprentice weren’t over-exposed like Snooki and others. Isn’t there someone called ‘The Situation’? I don’t know. Oh, and that one person that had billions of plastic surgery operations at one time, was that Heidi Pratt? That story completely creeped me out and is a horrible example for teens everywhere.
- Award shows of all kinds. I cannot sit through hours of totally scripted commentary and fake laughter to find out who won what. I am perfectly happy to read a story about the awards the next day, and I will promptly forget who the winners were.
- Fashion trends. Each season, I will read a magazine or see a program featuring what the latest ‘in’ thing is. It might be wedge shoes, maybe it is huge floral prints. Regardless, I wear the basics because I don’t want to buy a new wardrobe each year. I may be a “Fashion Don’t”, but if people only like me for my clothes, then I won’t miss them when they disappear from my life.
- American Idol/Dancing With the Stars. I know this is tied to item #2, but I have no interest in who gets kicked off ‘Idol’, who pulls a muscle on ‘Dancing With the Stars’, etc. I know plenty of people will disagree with me on this one, but neither of those shows interest me. There is obviously something great about these programs as they have a huge following, but they just aren’t for me. In all honesty, I would rather watch reruns of ‘Frasier’ or ‘The Waltons’. (Yes, I said The Waltons…)
I could probably go on and on about this topic, but maybe I will make another post at a later date.
So, do you think I am crazy to not sit back and enjoy American Idol? Is there anything out there that seems very popular, but just not to you?